Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The lonely tree


I had been to Kasauli a couple of years back, an amazing trip for reasons more than one. It was one trip, which I had planned on paper. It all happened apart from the dreadful cold & fever for which I had to cancel my trek to Triund and instead settle with Kasauli, I was glad that I did. For those who are not aware Kasauli is located a few KMs down Simla in Himachal Pradesh. I happened to stay in one of those old bunglows, on the hill. I remember Kasauli for the monkey that chased me (may be I’d narrate the story some other day!), the absolutely heady peach & apricot wine, the long winding roads, the mouth-watering chicken-ham-mushroom omelette that I ever had but most of all I would remember it for that tree. It came on my way to the bungalow, the road was very steep & I always gasped for breath every fifty meters I climbed…even then it was good because I would get a chance to look far away and catch a glimpse of the snow-capped peaks far away! The branches were bare & deep brown like a withering old woman full of old hill-town tales. It appeared to me lonely and waiting for someone. I came across it for the first time when the sun was setting…it made the tree appear even more solitary…and beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Great picture. With your writing you have personalized Kasauli for us to make it even more alluring.
    But more than anything else, kudos for this literary gem:
    "The branches were .... like a withering old woman full of old hill-town tales"
    Marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What camera was that photograph taken with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a samsung 6 MP..not sure of which model

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad. I think the original full-sized photo would make a very nice desktop background. :-)

    ReplyDelete