Monday, July 27, 2009

Feline Fella

I sincerely believe after years of experience that a good roomie can actually make or break your life...I am sure many a folks would vouch for that. Roomies who forget to switch off the geyser after a bath, or go away keeping the refrigerator door open or who sleep off after keeping the lights on in the adjacent room for the entire night can be quite tiresome, how much sweet they are otherwise! But hey...this post is not about roomies, in fact it is about an incident when my roomie slept off after keeping the lights on!

It was about 3 in the morning, when I got up & noticed the living room lights are on. Sleepy-eyed as I was, cursing under breadth, I slowly made my way there to put it off. Now imagine....me walking with half my eyes closed, it’s pouring heavily outside, I am in the middle of the room (the switch is in the farthest corner) & phew... there’s actually a huge tabby cat sitting on the couch staring hard at me! Not a sign of fear or trepidation, it sat as it did with its greenish-yellow eyes. My first thought was to drive it away, since I am particularly not fond of cats, but animal-lover instinct took better of me, & I thought about the heavy downpour outside. I actually thought it may get scared if I switch off the lights, which I kept on, did an about-turn & straight to my bed!

Now what would a person expect, when she gets up next morning at 7, that the cat would be gone but hang on...it was right there, where I saw it! Same stare & same poise! Guess what... I wanted to put on the news in the TV, & the remote was lying just next to the feline fella! I decided against going for the remote, thinking my movement might actually scare it off (guess I was more intimidated by the tabby!) I decided to manually change channels. All this while we were actually measuring up each other through the corner of our eyes!

My Maid’s coming in made the cat decide, that it was getting too rough inside now (after all everyone doesn’t have so many kind bones as I do!) ...& it gave me a look (thank you?...no, not tabby-cats!) & made way towards the window! It’s more than a fortnight now, & I haven’t seen it...wonder where it is, may be another rainy night...& we’d meet again!

3 comments:

  1. Nice one..pratima.... I can fully understand ur feelings that night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good descriptive writing..

    Even if the light is turned off, the cat saw the soft side of you.. it can see in dark.. :-)

    For some animal, day n nights are the same. Sad: some human become animal in dark..
    - Bhaskor

    ReplyDelete