Thursday, November 19, 2009

Blytonesque literature

She shipped me to a world where everything was perfect. The perfect summer holidays, with friends, a bicycle, a dog & a mystery. She took me through a boarding school on a sea-cliff overlooking the deep blue water, girls playing lacrosse in the evening, strict but affectionate teachers and naughty classmates. She whispered in my ears the tales of forgetful Mr. Twiddle, finicky Golliwogs, naughty Amelia Jane, impatient Fatty, astute Alicia, tomboyish Georgina. I longed to experience the English summer holidays, stay in a circus caravan to have a slice of the fun Jimmy felt. Her writings were as faraway possible from the British snobbery. She instilled in me a love for reading for which I am grateful till today. And BBC bans dramatization of her writings, saying it is ‘stilted and longwinded’.....but to this day her popularity has not suffered...I grew up reading Enid Blyton and so will my children!

2 comments:

  1. liked the last four words..
    (future is fascinating!)

    Bhaskor

    ReplyDelete
  2. M a Blyton-fan as well...I wouldnt have grown up to be the person I am if not for her work :)

    ReplyDelete